The Many Adventures of Telehealth in Pediatric Therapy
Telehealth is an adventure in which therapists encounter many new opportunities and challenges. It requires flexibility, creativity, and open-mindedness. In this podcast, Jenny offers some ready-to-implement activity ideas from her experience in telehealth to help make the telehealth adventure easier to navigate.
I know it is very scary to tackle teletherapy for the first time. I was nervous when I started practicing teletherapy 3 years ago. I needed confidence that I could navigate the technology pieces. I needed reassurance that I could be creative with limited resources. I learned a lot about how to effectively implement teletherapy, but it took courage and a sense of adventure.
So I ask you, what would Winnie The Pooh do during this time of COVID-19? Pooh bear is a simple bear with a childlike personality, full of wonder and exploration. He takes things as they come and lives life in a fun and spontaneous manner. And when he lives his life this way, it always turns out just fine. Remember to be like Winnie the Pooh so you don’t get stuck in the mud like Eeyore!
Telehealth truly is an adventure! You will encounter many new opportunities when using telehealth service delivery model for pediatric therapy. You will develop resiliency, just as the children with multiple challenges do in their lives daily. Be flexible, creative, open-minded and expect the unexpected.
Here are some ready-to-implement activity ideas to help make your telehealth adventure a little easier to navigate.
Activity ideas using a paper bag and crayons
- Tear edges of bag to make fringe
- Go on a scavenger hunt with paper bag
- Locomotor actions – pick up a crayon and move across room to place in bag
- Trace hand on paper bag with crayon
- Identify objects inside bag without looking
Activity ideas using a couch, pillows, chairs
Good for proprioception input, motor planning and following directions.
- Hop over a pillow
- Jump & stop activity on couch
- Bear walk, crab walk over pillows
- Pretend turtle with pillow on back while crawling
- Imitate Ninja moves with pillow
Activity ideas using pipe cleaners
- String cereal
- Twist together and jump over
- Copy design for visual perception
- Wrap around finger
- Minute to win it, how many can you pick up in 1 minute
Activity ideas using a playground ball
- Roll over bowling pins (could be empty plastic bottles)
- Ball wall walk, don’t let it fall
- Crab kick
- Spell words for each catch
- Over under game with adult assistant
Activity ideas using cotton balls
- Draw a sheep or cloud on paper and glue cotton balls
- Sponge painting with cotton balls
- Pretend feed cotton balls to plush animal
- While supine, pick up cotton ball with toes and bring to hands
- Throw and catch cotton ball